We have decided to award Barney the title of 'Pet of the Month'
for after he has recently undergone major surgery! Barney first
came to see us after he had stopped eating and had started
vomiting. After talking to his owners we were concerned that Barney
may have swallowed something that had become stuck in his
intestines. To investigate further we took some x-rays of Barneys'
abdomen. We can often see a foreign body on x-ray film especially
metal objects however softer objects and material do not show up as
well. Barneys' x-rays confirmed that he had 2 strands of wire stuck
in his intestines! We took Barney to surgery to remove the 2 pieces
of wire. The wires had actually perforated Barneys' intestines and
part of his intestine had started to die so this unhealthy tissue
had to be removed. This surgery is referred to as a resection and
anastomosis. Removing a foreign body can be a risky surgery as
after the operation the wounds can sometimes breakdown because the
gut has been damaged by the blockage. This can cause an infection
in the abdomen called peritonitis; this is a very serious
condition. Therefore during surgery we do everything we can to try
and prevent infection. The wounds in the gut have to be checked
thoroughly and the abdomen is lavaged with many litres of sterile
saline to dilute and wash away any bacteria. Barney was also given
intravenous antibiotics during and after his operation.
Unfortunately for Barney the foreign body also caused a very
painful condition called Pancreatitis. Barney was frequently
vomiting and was reluctant to eat. Barney spent a number of days
hospitalised while he recovered and so we could treat his symptoms.
All the Nurses spent lots of time tempting Barney to eat with
everything from cat food to yoghurt! Now back home with his loving
family Barney is starting to make a good recovery and his owners
are pleased that his appetite is slowly returning.
Oh and in case you were wondering the two pieces of wire turned
out to be part of some fairy lights!
The whole team at Maple vets would like to wish Barney a speedy
recovery and congratulate him on being such a brave dog!!